Tag Archives: Marriage

Mexican-born Actress Charged with Marriage Fraud

Remember, ALWAYS be TRUTHFUL with the U.S. Government and with your Immigration Lawyer. It doesn’t matter who you are, you must follow the law, if you wish to benefit from it.

Mexican-born actress charged with marriage fraud

LOS ANGELES — Mexican-born actress Fernanda Romero has had bit parts in such movies as the horror film “Drag Me to Hell,” but federal prosecutors say her biggest act was pretending to be a bride.

The 28-year-old actress and husband were arrested Friday at their separate Los Angeles homes and charged with marriage fraud, the U.S. attorney’s office said. They contend Romero paid Kent Ross, 28, to marry her in 2005 so that she could become a U.S. resident.

Authorities said the two never lived together and Romero, whose full name is Maria Fernanda Romero Martinez, submitted phony documents with her residency application.

An investigation began after Romero’s ex-boyfriend, fashion photographer Markus Klinko, told immigration authorities her marriage was a sham. The couple started dating after Romero and Ross were married.

If convicted, Romero and Ross could be sentenced to up to five years in federal prison.

Romero has had roles in several small films and is moderately well known in Mexico, where she appeared in the TV Azteca soap “Eternamente Tuya.” She has also appeared on the Spanish-language channels Univision and Telemundo in the shows “Control” and “La Ley del Silencio,” respectively.

According to her Web site, she has appeared in television and print ads for several U.S. companies, as well as a music video. She moved to Los Angeles when she was 18 to study fashion design, according to her site.

Messages to her publicist were not immediately returned Friday.

A phone message left for Ross’ attorney, Mike Shannon, also was not immediately returned Friday.

Special Assistant U.S. Attorney James M. Left, said immigration officials began investigating in 2007 after Klinko mentioned the marriage during a lawsuit he filed in New York.

Left says a marriage ceremony was performed on June 12, 2005, but the couple never lived together.

“Immigration benefit fraud is a serious crime,” said Miguel Unzueta, an Immigration and Customs Enforcement special agent in charge in Los Angeles. “Not only does it potentially rob deserving immigrants of benefits they rightfully deserve, it also undermines the integrity of our nation’s legal immigration system.”

Leave a comment

Posted by on April 18, 2010 in Immigration Law


Tags: , , , ,

What If I Miss The I-751 Deadline to Remove Conditions On My Greencard?

I’ve had my marriage-based greencard for almost 2 years…now what?

Recently, I had a client come in whose greencard had expired because he had missed the deadline to file an I-751 Petition to Remove the Conditions of Residence. If you recently married a U.S. Citizen and have received a greencard, an I-751 form must be filed within the 90 days preceding the expiration date on your greencard. While greencards allow a foreign national to live and work in the U.S. permanently, a greencard based on a marriage, that was originally less than two years old, will expire after two years. The foreign national must once again prove to the USCIS that his or her marriage was bona fide and not fraudulent; this is done by filing an I-751 and supporting evidence of your marriage.

If you do not file an I-751 in time, your greencard status will be terminated and you may be put into deportation proceedings, a process which begins with a Notice to Appear at a hearing. In my client’s case, he had not yet received any Notice to Appear, thus we went ahead and filed the I-751 late with a letter explaining the extenuating circumstances as to why it was late. This situation is less than ideal. We have not yet heard whether or not USCIS will accept his late I-751.

It is very important that those with marriage based greencards mark your calendar and do not miss your obligation within the 90 day period prior to the 2nd anniversary of receiving your card (not your wedding date). If you find that you have already missed the deadline, you should contact a licensed immigration attorney. 

Note: If you have divorced or separated prior to the deadline, you must still file an I-751, and seek a waiver to remove conditions without the support of your spouse. You should contact a licensed immigration attorney to aid you in providing sufficient evidence to receive the waiver.


Posted by on February 18, 2010 in Immigration Law


Tags: , , ,